May 22, 2006

Delicacies for your taste buds!

On a rare (and precious!) weekend off, my husband Alan and I decided to spend a Sunday in the city. As crazy as it was to have pouring rain at this time of the year, we still enjoyed a really great day together eating and shopping! There were so many cravings that we had that day, so we decided to do the "small portions, multiple meals" deal. We must have ate at 6 different places that day but there were two that were especially worth mentioning here!

For those of you that haven't caught wind of it yet, the new Beard Papa Cream Puffs shop is now open across from the Metreon! I have actually been very familiar with this name and their out-of-this-world delicious cream puffs starting from about 4 years ago. I was vacationing in Hong Kong at the time and curiously decided to stand in line for 30 minutes to buy this cream puff that was THE hottest thing in Hong Kong then. After standing in line for 30 minutes, it only made sense to buy multiple cream puffs to justify the amount of wait time right? I bought 4 different flavors and I remember loving the chocolate puffs the most! So, when I found out that Beard Papa was opening shop here in my very hometown, I did not need to be convinced to try it out and that was our first stop this Sunday! I was a little disappointed to see that they are only offering the vanilla cream puffs at this time. The chocolate flavor will not be available until June. I still bought half a dozen though and they were every bit as fresh and delicious as I had remembered it! I have now marked on my calendar to go back in June to get the other flavors! Check them out online at www.muginohousa.com/creampuffs

Halfway into the afternoon, it was time for a little indulgence! We stopped at one of our favorite spots in the city--the Ferry Building. There are so many neat little places in there! We love the oysters at Hog Island, the potato croquettes at Delica rf1, and the handmade marshmellows at Recchiuti Confections. This Sunday though, we indulged in one of our all time favorites--Tsar Nicoulai Caviar, a "caviar cafe". This charming little place has a wide variety of premium caviar, both domestic and imported. We ordered their American Sampler , which consisted generous portions of 7 different types of caviar delicately presented with their homemade buckwheat blini with creme faiche. My favorite was the truffled whitefish caviar and the hackleback sturgeon caviar. Yummy!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment