I'm big on all the 'special occasions' throughout the year. After being together for 8 years now, my hubby has learned to take them seriously too. You can imagine his shock then, when I told him NOT to make any plans for us this Valentine's Day.
'Is this a trick?' he asked.
It took me some time to convince him that no, this was not a 'trick'. This year, I told him, I just want to lay low at home....with him and with my little Bridgette. Maybe it's because I am still very sick, but more so that there has been sooooo much going on lately that I just want to take it easy.
So, I am dedicating this post to all you lovebirds out there that want to celebrate Valentine's Day with a nice dinner out. Here are my top recommendations for the fabulous, but 'undiscovered' restaurants you may love :
1. Shokolaat in Palo Alto--a perfect neighborhood bistro that's warm and intimate. I highly recommend the wild mushroom and mint soup for your starter, and the raspberry souffle for your happy ending.
2. Red Lantern in Redwood City--if you love an Asian/Fusion menu, you will love this place. From authentic filipino dishes to the familiar pad thai, their menu is extensively filled with flavorful and delicious selections.
3. Chapeau in San Francisco--a small, inviting neighborhood french bistro. It's the type of place where the owner himself will come out and greet you before your dinner is over. I recommend doing the pre fixe. It's a great menu and the prices are very reasonable!
4. Wood Tavern in Oakland--my good friend Rebekah and her husband Rich are the owners, but that does not make me bias because this honestly is an AMAZING restaurant. Another one of those casual, yet chic, neighborhood brasserie that focuses on local, sustainable ingredients.
5. Local Restaurant and Wine Merchant --if you are planning to eat here, may I recommend that you book a mani/pedi upstairs at Cocoon Urban Day Spa? It's the perfect combo. Local's nicoise salad is my absolute favorite, and you just HAVE to try their truffle and parmasean fries! They also have a very interesting wine selection--just lovely!